Thursday, January 30, 2014

Damnit

Injuries have a funny way of sneaking up on you when you don't want them to.  I've been running "kinda" steady for the last week or so.  Nothing more than really about 40 minutes at a time.  I've been taking things fairly easy (for me) and have been careful not to do too much too soon.  I've even gone as far as to limit my running to 2 days on, 1 day off.

Everything was going along swimmingly until yesterday.  About 3/4's of a mile into what was only going to be about a 30 minute run, my calf seized up and forced me to hobble back home.  It's not the first time I've dealt with this same injury, and it's equally as frustrating as the first time it happened about a year and a half ago.  At that time I was SUPER irresponsible with my volume, and begged for the injury. This time though, even being decently careful, it snuck up and bit me in the ass.

Oh well, such is the life of an athlete I suppose.  The good news is that I did come back home and get a wicked workout on the rollers.  Nothing fuels a hard, "kick your own ass" indoor bike ride like being angry that you can't do something you wanted to.  For me, running is not the end goal.  It was a cool thing that I was enjoying in order to gain some different fitness and loose some lbs without having to change too much of my human trash can diet.  Now though, I'll really have to batten down the hatches a bit more when it comes to what I shove in my mouth (something I really should have been doing all along!) and get to work on pedaling the bike to nowhere inside the house until the snow and ice subsides.

Another positive note about this injury is that it took place a couple weeks out from our trip to the UK and Spain.  While it doesn't' bother me much when cycling, this will allow it ample time to recover so that it's 100% gone (hopefully) from my cycling when we touch down in Spain.  That's going to be a great opportunity to build something for the coming season, so I absolutely don't want anything to come in it's way.

That's it for now.  Off to conquer the day and hopefully find some kind of inspiration to get on the trainer a bit later.  Nothing says awesome like riding your bike inside...

No comments:

Post a Comment