Friday, October 19, 2012

Busy Week

Lots and lots going on these days, most of it work related.  Not to exciting I'm afraid, but then again, "exciting" is like art-all in the eye of the beholder.

Since Anne's left, it's been a whirlwind of work, work, and trying to ride my bike when I can.  These days I'm lucky to get in 3 rides, so I've been supplementing my riding with weight work and running.  Getting back into both has got me riding better than I have in a while, as well as feeling much more balanced in the process.

Like I've mentioned in previous posts, I'm VERY into kettle bells these days.  Not only are they something I believe can make you stronger and more explosive, but they're something that can balance you out at a much quicker rate than anything I've done before.  I've found that detecting imbalances is something that's hard to do with traditional gym equipment and even yoga.  Sure you may feel that you're not stretching in a certain way, or that one leg is stronger than the other, but in truth, it's difficult sometimes to put a finger on exactly what it is.  For me, kettle bells have pointed out a severe imbalance I had going in my back-one that I may not have stumbled upon otherwise.  Through their use, I have quickly and efficiently addressed it and made myself a more flexible and powerful athlete.  It sounds like a bunch of "hocus-pocus" talk, but kettle bells are the closest thing I've ever encountered that resembles a true "miracle" piece of equipment.

As for the running, I can't say that I've 100% fallen back in love with it as in it will replace my bikes, but for certain it is a viable substitute when I'm crunched for time or can't make it to the trail.  It's just easy to tie up the trainers and head out the door.  Getting to the trail can take time and planning.  Sure it can be done, but on a day to day basis where you may have clients calling last minute to either work out or cancel their sessions, having a pair of running shoes with me means I can run anytime, anywhere when I need to.  Of course I've taken things out of the gate a little too hard and I'm dealing with a bit of a knot in my calf at the moment, but hey, at least it's getting me to think outside of the box a bit with my exercise instead of being glued behind my handlebars.

I have to say that for the first time in a long time, running doesn't seem like work.  Yeah it hurts and yeah I'm not able to run as easily as I did a couple years ago, but as the muscular system gets up to par and weight goes down a bit, it'll come back sure as anything.  It's fun again and keeping it that way is my biggest priority.  No GPS.  No HRM.  Just trainers, dorky tights and/or shorts, and a relaxed mind.

Another new thing (or old as the case may be) is that I'm considering buying a new road bike.  It's been a while since I've been out on a road bike, and now having sold my old faithful Trek before the summer began I've got nothing to ride.  I've been offered a really sweet deal from a local shop and I just may take them up on it.  Only problem is I'll have to sell one of my other bikes to get it.  I'm definitely not looking forward to that, but in reality, getting fit again and making a purchase that I'll use more than what I'm selling seems like a reasonable thing.  I'm still in the process of thinking it all through, but a skinny tired, suspension-less bike may soon be in my future.

Otherwise it's just keeping my nose to the grindstone and getting work whenever and wherever I can.  I've got a lot to look forward to in the coming months: A trip to England, seeing my beautiful Fiance, and enjoying the beginnings of the next chapter in my life.  To say I'm happy would be an understatement.  Right, time for a run!

No comments:

Post a Comment