Monday, December 19, 2011

MTB Love

There are several reasons I love mountain biking.  Solitude.  Challenge.  Fun.  Shredding.  Focus.  There are many more words, but I think the biggest thing that draws me to mountain biking is the never ending skill set you aquire from every ride.  There are so many things you can work on as you ride, whether you are an XC guy, a Downhill guy, All Mountain guy, or a Freeride guy.  For me, it's just amazing to find something about your skills on each ride.  Something magical happens that second you clear an obstacle you didn't "quite" think you could when you rolled up on it the first time.

Interestingly, when I started riding bikes seriously when I was racing triathlons a few years ago, I NEVER thought I'd ride a mountain bike.  In fact, I was terrified to do so.  I denounced everything dirt, stuck to the road, and that was that.  I'm not sure when it all changed, but one day I just "got" it.  It might have been that first shred in the corner, or maybe it was the first rockgarden I cleared.  Whatever it was, I was hooked big time.  There hasn't been more than a few consecutive days passed in the last 2 years that I haven't hit the trail.  I'm drawn to the trails; to the excitement that gives me a smile every time I ride.

The feeling I get when I ride is something I can't put into words.  Getting better, more skilled, and pushing the envelope is something that drives me.  I guess it's the never ending progression of what my body and mind are capable of.  Like I said, I NEVER thought I'd be riding a mountain bike, much less doing and riding the things I am now.  Never say never and ride on the dirt, it'll change you life.

No comments:

Post a Comment