Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thoughts

Whenever I sit down here to compose a blog, I usually start off with one thought in my mind that switches to about 30 by the end of the post.  I don't edit this in any way and I rarely re-read what I write, so I'm sorry if it doesn't make sense at times.  It is what it is and that's why I like it.  This is my little space to spout off at the mouth and I'll take the liberties it awards me with the greatest of appreciation.  In other words, it's my blog and I'll write what I want to!

I'm currently in a bit of a transitional phase, both in my life and in the sports (see: hobbies) I pursue.  I'm happily engaged to the most wonderful and beautiful woman I've ever met and I'm working hard at being the best man and best future husband I can be.  She makes me want to be a better man (yeah, that sounds cliche but it's absolutely true) and I can't imagine letting her down.  She's the best thing in my life and I'm more than excited to live, grow, and have a family with her.  On the sports side of thing, I'm for the moment putting a lot of things on hold.  I've had the itch to start racing again (only downhill and enduro), but for now it just isn't right.  I don't have the time to make the commitment to it that I'd want to in order to be competitive, and because of this have decided it's best to just ride my bikes and have fun when I can.  It's not a cop out, it's just reality.  I've thought about how much time I'd need to feel confident in my racing abilities, but the need for money and procuring a future for me and my future wife is just more of a priority right now.  As the great Lucho once told me, "racing will always be there".  He's right.

Exercise, in relation to my sports, though, has been a lot of fun.  I've been exploring kettle bells quite a lot in the past months, and I'm in love with the feeling of being strong again.  I hadn't realized how much I'd slipped in the strength department when I was busy riding my bike.  Let's just say it's almost embarrassing to see how much I'd slipped in that regard.  Nevertheless, after a few months swinging around kettle bells and becoming serious about strength training, I'm feeling a lot less like a girly man and much more like I did in my early twenties.  For me now, the only thing I need to watch out for is over doing it.  Physically I'll be able to hold up much better and see increasing results if I don't push it too much.  Like everything, too much is often a bad thing when it comes to kettle bells.

And then there's my new dirt jumping obsession.  Like I said in my post yesterday, it scares the hell out of me and that's why I'm doing it.  I haven't found many things in life that feel better than conquering your fears, and this is just another test of my own meddle.  I'm still amazed at how the process of doing these things work, and the feeling of accomplishment you feel when you get what you're going after.  Pretty cool all around and a journey I'm enjoying thus far.

Long story short, life is good.  There's a lot of exciting things in store, along with a lot of changes as well.  Life is continuing to march on, and for one of the few times in my life, I feel like I'm in the train and on the right track.

No comments:

Post a Comment