Monday, February 11, 2013

Not to be a downer, but...

...snow sucks.  I know, I know, always keep a positive head, right?  Well I'm going to make one negative statement and then shut my mouth: Snow sucks!

Today, even though it was Monday, felt more like a Sunday than anything else.  Usually weekends are my time to recoup, get some good riding or other fun stuff in, and then get ready for my week ahead.  I'd imagine most of the population is similar in this way, so you know how I felt today when after a weekend of digging out and sleeping in the cold with no power I had to get back to work-somewhat..

It wasn't a crazy day at work, but the roads here are so bad that it makes everything just that much more difficult.  Really makes me miss the warm climate and blazing hot summer days of the time I spent in Spain this year.  Nevertheless, I saw a couple clients, had a bunch of others cancel, and ran some errands.

Physcially, today was more needed recovery from the digging and sloshing around. I don't think it was the actual work that killed me from the weekend, but rather not being able to sleep in a warm bed after Saturday's high level of exertion.  Aslo, I don't think drinking with the neighbors all week benefited me in the least when it came to recovery.

So today was just a simple hour long ride on the trainer, in addition to doing some more shoveling.  I managed to keep things exciting on the indoor ride by swapping out easy spinning on the trainer with harder efforts on the rollers.  Swapping back and forth between the two really made the time go by-nearly allowing it to be pleasurable.  I'm still amazed, even after having been away from doing indoor workouts like this for some time, that an hour inside seems to take FOREVER.  It's just so damned boring.  Getting it done, though, is a reward in itself.

Tomorrow I think I'm going to try and get back to a bit of strength training in addition to another hour or so ride on the trainer.  The trainer session (though I haven't designed it yet) will be a little more specific. I'm thinking of some longer intervals and decent rest time in between.  As for the strength session, I'm thinking all kettle bells and body weight.  Lots of push ups, pull ups, and good 'ole snatches, cleans, and jerks with the KB's.

Hopefully the next couple of days will see a return to some normalcy after all this snow.  Of course, just when it clears I'm sure we'll get another snow storm... Such is life!

No comments:

Post a Comment