Saturday, May 5, 2012

Gettin' that feelin'

So in getting my new camera yesterday, I'm pretty stoked (that's "excited" for all you non-mountain bike, surfer types) on photography, and spent a good portion of my Friday night reading up on techniques, styles, and the art of taking pictures.  I've got to say, having been a film student in college once apron a time, I probably should have gone the photography route.  In the end, they are both hard to get jobs in when you graduate so I would had been no worse off than I am today.  As it stands, I still have yet to make a single dollar off the 4 (or 6!) years I spent watching movies in college.

The most interesting thing I find about taking photos, is that the story needs to be presented in a specific way.  Just like a short strory is to writing, so to is a single photo to telling a tale.  There's no time to beat around the bush,  You've got to present as much information in as small amount of space as possible.  It doesn't need to be immediately obvious, but you need your viewer to ultimately uncover the meaning or story in your work. If this doesn't happen, you've wasted their time and yours.

It's a challenge and I'm bound to suck at it at first, but in the attempt to broaden my interests, I'm happy to pick up the camera and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment