Monday, May 7, 2012

One more day...

Until the big announcement!  One that will rock the world to it's very foundation! One that will take you by the neck, shake you like a rag doll, and leave you feeling beat up and used on the side of the road.  That, or you really won't care and you'll go about your business like you aways do.

In reality, nothing in anyone's life but my own will change.  There are times in life when people say they want this, or say they want that, but never really make the leap to take charge of their own lives and manage their risk on a higher level.  Sure, making big changes are risky, and sure there is a chance that you'll fall flat on your face and return home to loved ones with your tail between your legs.  There's always a chance of failure, whether we admit it or not.  We know deep in our souls, no matter how much we deny it, that the possibility of not reaching our goals is there.  It is at that point that we have to move past the negative thoughts and break into the realm of what could be.  In that instance we've got to follow dreams, believe in our abilities, and let ourselves go.

As simple as it is, and as cliche as it may be, I'm at the point in my life (albeit a bit late) when I need to be pushed from the nest.  Comfort is something I've come quite accustomed to, and unfortunately, without a dramatic change, I will become content, and be left in the rut that I've dug for longer than I want.  And that's IF I ever get out of it.

When I was playing football in high school, one of the only speeches I remember our coach giving lead to the point of "never being content" with where you are.  At the time I, like the rest of the pimply faced teenager thought nothing about how we might apply that to our lives in the future, but rather what it meant at that point.  I thought to myself that coach was talking about being content with losing a game that we more than likely would.  In hindsight though, I now see where he was going.  Advice given from elders is never about the moment.  It's about what you'll do with it when you're at the point in your life that you're smart enough to realize what it really means.  I'm at that point now and I'm about to take hold of my life.  I'm about to be the bird being pushed out of the nest, only armed with the blind faith and belief in himself that he will fly instead of landing on the ground below, planting his head in the earth and exposing his grey matter for the vultures to eat.

"I'm a peacock captain, you gotta let me fly!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment