Monday, November 7, 2011

Flatty flat flats

Another post on flat pedals...Sorry to all of my 2 readers:)  Fact is, I'm pretty psyched about these things.  It's been a while since I've added something to my bike that made such a difference in my riding.

Today was the second time I've ridden the flats since I got them last Friday.  I was spectating the NYC marathon this weekend watchin' my new ladyfriend run, so I didn't get a chance to get out on the bike this weekend. Anyway, two more things seem apparent from my second ride.  For one, I'm amazed at how quickly I've adapted to them.  Riding today didn't seem at all awkward like it did the first time out last week.  I'm still getting used to getting my foot position just right, but still, didn't feel alien at all to be on flats today.  And secondly, I've heard people talk all the time about how riding clipless (clipped in for the lay person) makes them really feel a connection to their bikes.  While that might be true, I'm going to suggest the same goes for flat pedals.  You really have to use your feet quite a lot when jumping and pedaling, almost gripping the pedals with your toes at times.  Flat pedals bring in a lot more of the muscles of your ankle and foot than riding clipless.

When I bought the flat pedals I was worried I wasn't going to like it.  I was worried it would be too different, and not efficient enough.  I was completely wrong.  I love the way it feels, the freedom it gives you, and the skills you have to learn to ride effectively.  I certainly wouldn't race cx in 'em, but for everyday riding, I'm hooked!

No comments:

Post a Comment