Monday, March 14, 2011

Rest Day and dialing in my bike

Rested HARD today. I've been training hard, so the rest has got to be just as hard. When I rest, I really rest. Besides being up and at work (which wasn't all that much today fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it), I was laying around with my feet up. Sure I could have been cleaning or doing something productive, but normal days have me running around and training so much that it's an effort just to sit still. Today was all about relaxing and that's just what I did.

I went a little crazy on the food as well today. I'm down about 5 lbs in the last couple of weeks which is good, but I'm also eating like an animal. I'm not too concerned with my weight right now, as long as it continues to drop slowly. I have a knack for losing and gaining weight easily, so I'm not worried about being too heavy. The cool part as well has been that I haven't seen a decrease in my power on the bike. If anything, I'm getting stronger, though I won't be able to tell for sure until I do another bike test. I'm starting to get that "easy to ride fast" feeling, so that's a good indicator things are going accordingly.

This evening I spent a bit of time dialing in what is my training mountain bike. I'm fortunate enough to have a racing and training bike for this year, but being that they're two different brands, it's been a little difficult to set them up exactly the same. My race bike was fitted properly to me by my buddy Nelson, an awesome fitter and mechanic that's helped me out tremendously in all my cycling ventures. He keeps my bikes running strong when I can't figure out what the hell is wrong, and has me dialed in on that race bike so that it feels like a glove. The training bike is a little bit more difficult to dial in, but I've done what I can.

I swapped out a stem today to lengthen the cockpit a touch, which I believe will relieve some of the tension I've been feeling in my back after my long ride on Saturday. I have a habit of hunching over as I fatigue, as Nelson pointed out, and lengthening my cockpit (as it is on my race bike), will hopefully allow me to keep my back in a more neutral position, and get rid of the ache I get around 4 hours in the saddle. Fingers crossed it'll work!

So that's it for today. Easy livin' until I get back on the ball tomorrow. A little bit more structure than just layin' around doing nothing:).

No comments:

Post a Comment