Monday, March 28, 2011

Rest Day

Had a great week of training this past week. Starting to get that "Superman" feeling you get when you're getting fit and I'm lovin' it. This past weekend was capped off with some serious riding on the trails. I was meant to do a road ride on Sunday, but after working in the yard moving trees and such in the morning, I just didn't have the desire to ride on the road. It was windy and the weather's been unseasonably cold (both non-excuses I know!), so off to the woods it was. I managed to ride yesterday at some trails I have rarely ridden. Here on Long Island you don't get much in terms of sustained climbing, so often what you wind up with are short, punchy and technical climbs. While they're great for developing skill, they don't give you as much in the way of climbing as you would like. However, for what they were, the trails I rode had some solid climbs that lasted more than just a few seconds, and some great switchbacks that kept things interesting. It's also just nice to ride somewhere new to keep things interesting. There's nothing like riding through a section not knowing what's coming next. You don'tknow where each rock is, or berm is, or root is. It's just a fun way of coaxing some adrenaline out of your system. Now on to some fun stuff:). I'm looking at getting a 29er rather soon. I started my mountain biking oddessey on a rigid singlespeed 29er, bought gears and a suspension fork for my first XTERRA last year, then sold it for a 26 inch wheeled bike. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my 26ers. They fit my riding style quite nicely, and there's nothing I love more than ripping techy singletrack on one. I ride aggressively (must be why I have so many scars!), and the 26 inch bike to me is like a BMX bike. I can jump, twist, turn, and finese these bikes just right. However, given the type of racing I'm doing this year and look to get into (enduance mtb'ing), the 29er gives you the most bang for your buck in my opinion. Rolling is more efficient, riding a hardtail doesn't beat you up like on a 26er, and on longer road/dirt track sections you keep speed with less effort. Sure the quick acceleration isn't there like it is with a 26inch bike, and it's difficult to ride a 29er aggresively in the same way as a 26er, but overall, for the long stuff I don't think it can be beat. So, all this sounds great, but the fact is that it still needs to be purchased. Ah, and there's the rub. There are a few different factors holding up my funds at present, so it might be a while until I actually take delivery of a 29er. Whenever it does come, I'll be sure to get one. Maybe I can sell a kidney or something:).

No comments:

Post a Comment