Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Road Ride

Absolutely great ride outside today, even if it was shortened a bit as a result of air leaving my rear tire:). I've been spending so much time on the mountain bike lately that I completely forgot how fast and efficient the road bike is.

I love riding my mountain bike on the road because it just makes you a beast when you get back on the road bike. While I have nearly no desire to get seriously into road racing, the speed is fun and the smooth "hum" of the tires can by hypnotic.

Today wasn't much more than getting out on the bike and letting the terrain dictate my output. Went harder when I felt like it, but for the most part it was just a two hour, steadily paced effort.

This week, I really, really want to pay attention to how I feel, and not just at hours accumulated. For most of this season, I've just been looking at the bottom line at the end of the week. If I was able to hit somewhere in the area of 20 hours of riding (sometimes a little higher or lower), and still get in some good intervals during the week and steady efforts on the weekends, I was happy. I think that worked for the most part as I've continued to get stronger, but it's starting to get stale. Aerobically I don't think I can get much fitter, but coming into the next couple week's races (The Curse of Dark Hallow-60mi, and The Wilderness 101 miler), I'd like to get on the gas a bit with shorter and more focused sessions. Basically I'm forgetting about time, and concentrating everything on quality. I might even go out and get a bike computer...Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment