Friday, November 26, 2010

Post Turkey Day Run

Yesterday was not a great day for me. Not because I ate too much or didn't spend time with loved ones-I did both-but because I felt like crap all day. Whatever the reason (I believe it may have to do with a certain "controlled substance" I was subjected to-not that I, in this case, smoked it because I don't do that, but because I was merely subjected to the smoke it produces. I've only tried such substance a handful of times in college, so for the last 10 years I haven't been around it. Basically I'm allergic!) I was dizzy and light-headed for the majority of the day. Anyway, I slept well last night after getting home and hoped to be in much better shape today.

I woke up feeling a little bit like I did yesterday, but luckily it wasn't too bad. Managed to get to see my few clients that were feeling guilty after indulging yesterday, and got in a short, but good run.

My goal for today's run was just to go by feel. I was scheduled for a much longer run, but decided to keep things conservative. Not only was I feeling a bit rough this morning, but I'm still actually recovering from the race this past Saturday. I haven't been on the mountain bike at all since, and it's not because I haven't wanted to, but because I'm still a little beat up. Before the 6 hour race I had never been on a mountain bike for more than about 3 hours. I'd done some longer rides, but not on rough ground and certainly not without stopping to chat. This is something I'll be sure to address before my next endurance mtb race:).

Anyway, today's run brought me back to the fact that I actually like to run. Mountain biking has moved first into my love of things endurance based, but running holds a close second. I find that I enjoy moving to my own pace and taking things as they come. I can be a fast runner when I want/need to be, but for the most part I enjoy keeping things longer and aerobic. I think one of the reasons (besides getting injured every two weeks) this past year for my burnout, dealt with the fact that my running was so numbers based. Numbers are good for coaches and those that have the ability to separate their emotions from their runs, but for me, just being out and enjoying the actual "act" of running is where the pleasure lies. I'll have to speak with my coach to address this in the future.

Tomorrow will most likely be the first time back on the trails for me since last Saturday. Rides this week have been on the road and taken a more than easy tone, but I'm ready to have some fun in the dirt again. Nothing crazy, as I'll be racing my first 'cross race on Sunday, but at least a solid 90 minutes. That should give me my mtb fill, but preserve my legs enough for the thrashing they'll take on Sunday.

On another note I got a new toy today and will be uploading some cool vids and pics regularly. It cost a pretty penny, but in the end it was something I needed and will benefit not only this blog, but my work life as well. Not to mention the fact that every once in a while you need to splurge on something that isn't bike/run related:).

No comments:

Post a Comment