Sunday, August 21, 2011

Sunday

Along with a life changing event comes the desire to change...I guess. Either way, that's what I think I need right now, if nothing more than to get my head back on straight. Whatever...

This weekend started out well, but pretty much went to shit today. With an XC race coming up (it'll be 21 miles total), my focus this past week has been on short and sharp efforts. I've already got my "hay in the barn" from training for long distance events all summer, so getting a little top end speed is really whats needed.

My technical skills are at they're sharpest right now, so I've spent some extra time on the road bike working my engine. I really love the road. Something about it, I don't know if it's the "romance" of riding a road bike, the speed, or the efficiency, that makes me like it, but it is a welcome treat. Don't get me wrong though, nothing beats techy, rocky singletrack on a mountain bike or dirt roads on a cross bike, but I'm enjoying riding the road. Maybe I just like to ride ALL bikes?:)

So anyway, yesterday I spent 2 hours on the trails, attacking the hills and keeping the tempo steady otherwise. Today I was meant to ride the road easy for 3 hours, but because of helping my mother out with some stuff, I was only able to get in an easy hour 'recovery' spin early this morning. Kinda suited me though, as my legs were still a little tired. I'll get out on the road tomorrow for a few hours to make up for today before starting to really focus on sharpening up for the coming weekend.

I don't know what to expect and I don't know how I'll do at straight up XC racing, but regardless it'll be fun. I'm really hoping to win a raffle they're having for a sweeeeet all mountain bike at the race. I know I've got a snowball's chance in hell of actually winning it, but man, it would be sweet to get a nice long travel all mountain bike. I'd love to do some over-night bike packing weekends this fall and that bike would be perfect for it. Fingers are definitely crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment