Monday, August 8, 2011

When training and racing go wrong...

Haven't written much in the last few days. Not for any reason but there's been absolutely NOTHING happening.

A couple days after Wilderness, I had a funny episode where I had shortness of breath and dizzyness. Kinda freaked me out, but I knew that I had gone hard in the race and was extremely dehydrated at the end. Not to mention the fact that I didn't sleep or hydrate well in the days before, or that I drove 6 hours home shortly after I got off my bike. It was all a perfect storm for complete exhaustion.

I was freaked out, but decided to give it until the end of the week to see if anything changed. There was never another shortness of breath episode, but I couldn't shake the feeling of being dizzy and lightheaded. Friday came and things didn't change so I got my ass to the doctor.

I was examined for everything, had my heart checked and my blood drawn. The prognosis: I'm just one tired mofo! The funny thing is that I don't feel tired, sleepy, or fatigued, but my body is just not ready to push.

I haven't ridden or even exercised since the race, and I'm going to let my body fully recover before I get out and start riding hard again. In all reality I could go out and ride, but I'd more than likely push my complete recovery back, or stop it completely. Not a good idea considering I still have a few races left in the season, not to mention 'cross season coming up.

Like I said, I haven't ridden in almost a week and a half. I'm feeling a little soft and like I'm unfit, but I'm sure once I hop back on the bike in the next few days it'll all get back to normal. I'm planning on just riding super easy this week, probably no more than 90 mins or so at a time. Also, in all likelyhood, it'll probably be all on the road. I'm really focusing on NOT stressing my body any more than it has to, while still keeping some form of fitness. My next race is on the 27th of this month, and it'll only be a 'C' priority race. After that I'm looking at the Terror of Teaberry, a 40 mile super rocky and technical race. Then 'cross season begins and I'll be focusing there. I'll probably do the Something Wicked Events 6 Hours of Cathedral Pines race, but I kinda want to do it as a team instead of solo like last year.

In the end I'm just happy to have gotten a clean bill of health from the doctor. More important than any cycling is health. If I'm not alive, how the hell can I ride my bike??? ;) For now just restin' up and giving my body the TLC it deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment