Sunday, April 22, 2012

Good news but not the kind I wanted

I know I said earlier in the week that I wasn't going to piss and moan about my foot.  That I wasn't going to make a big issue over it because I'm much more of a person than just a bike rider.  I insisted that no I was going to use the time in a positive way, and appreciate the time I would spend away from my bikes.  Well screw that.  I have taken the chance to use the time constructively, perhaps not to it's fullest, but certainly a good chunk of my down time (which has been abundant), has lead to me completing some tasks I may have otherwise put towards riding.  And I've tried to remain positive about healing and taking the time to make sure I was doing everything in my power to heal effectively.  But, as evidenced by my post yesterday, I hit rock bottom yesterday.

I feel like a complete ass complaining about such a petty injury.  In the grand scheme of things, two weeks away from the bike is merely a blink of the eye.  It's nothing.  A mere speck in the cumulated time I've spent riding bikes.  I could go on with the cliches, but you get the point.  The problem comes when you can't ride, not when you choose not to.  People have suffered much more than me, and have been forced to take much longer periods away from the things that give them joy.  I should only consider myself lucky that I've been fortunate in nearly all the sports I've participated, not to have been forced away from it.  I guess this is what's so hard for me to deal with now.

I got a checkup from the doctor today and everything looks good.  The wound is healing properly, and there is no sign of infection.  The stitches must remain in for another 5 days, but afterwards I should be able to do some light riding.  Good news, and in reality what I expected, but I had hoped for more.  Still, I'm going to try and not whine, take it in stride, and do what needs to be done.  The fact is I'm healthy, I have a wonderful life, and 5 more days is absolutely nothing.

I apologize for these last posts being less than positive, and if you know me you know that I'm not much of a negative person.  I'll be back out soon enough as well as not crying like a baby in the near future.  In the end, it's my blog and I'll complain if I want to. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment