Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Inspired.

Inspiration comes in so many ways-but we already know that.  People can see videos that inspire them, books, stories, events-you get what I'm saying.  More often than not, for a lot of us, inspiration comes out of necessity.  Having to get things done and being up against a wall is great inspiration.  "Do or die" as it were.

Yesterday, my inspiration for riding came from the mountains.  It came from the rocks.  And it came from the beautiful scenery all around me.  The newly green greens that are beginning to poke their  heads out from the mild winter season we've had.  The buds on the trees that have appeared where they weren't the last time I rode.  And the wonderful smell of fresh air filling my lungs with every muscle searing pedal stroke.  We rode for only two and a half hours, but I believe I could have gone on forever.  It was the closest thing to a perfect day for riding as they come.

Today, however, my inspiration comes from the "back against the wall" variety.  This isn't to say that I'm facing a life or death situation, or that I'm looking down the barrel of a gun.  To the contrary, I'm placing myself in a spot where things must happen and change must occur.  Through struggle comes change, whether good or bad, and struggle is what I'm placing in my path.

The truth is that I've come to a figurative crossroads in my life-my career more accurately.  The way I see things, I've reached the apex of a job that has, for the last 10 years, has provided me with the means to do, for the most part, what I've wanted to.  It's given me the freedom to explore different areas of my personality, and most importantly, has given me the confidence and "way" with people that have made me successful in many areas of my life.  I cannot thank it more for that.  I'm a different person than I was and that is a direct result of my choice of employment.

The time has come to break the chains though.  The job has become more of a restriction than anything else.  I've found that I'm continuously stuck and bogged down in a rut that I don't seem capable of getting away from, unless a drastic change is to occur.  It's not that I'm tired of the people-nothing could be further than the truth.  I've been blessed with meeting some of the kindest and heart warming people.  I've also meet some duds, and learned much about human nature.  Nevertheless, I've been rewarded with great relationships that will transcend jobs and life choices.

The point of all this is to explain my decision to myself.  Sounds a bit redundant.  I'm placing myself in a spot that scares me, but it's a must in order to grow and rediscover the fire in my belly.  It's said that if you do something you love, you'll never work a day in your life.  I've been fortunate in what I've done, and I truly feel as if I've only "worked" a handful of days in this lifetime.  To quote the book/film "Fight Club", as Tyler Durden says, "It's only when you've lost everything that you're truly free to do anything."  There's a lot of power in that, and I plan to use that motivation to move into the next arena of my life.  Let's get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment