Friday, October 2, 2009

30 min swim, 45 min bike

Taking it easy again today. Just got done with a 30 minute swim and now I'm heading out for a 45-60 min spin. The race wheels are on, the race flats are ready, but I'm not...

Ok, well I'm ready, but I'm not yet ready to be where I want to be. I've been thinking a lot during this taper week, and the biggest thing that I've realized-or actualled continued to realize-is that the training hours and racing that I've put in this season really haven't been for this season. Sure I've trained, tapered and raced hard, but I'm laying the foundation for what is to come in the following years. I need to continue to be patient now, so that in a year or two's time, I'll be ready to fly like I want to. It's hard and it's a long journey, but that's part of the fun.

This weekened, unlike other races this year, will have no time expectation-or any expectations for that matter. In my buildup to Timberman, I expected and truly believed that I had a 4:30 in me. After fading BADLY on the run and finishing about 20 mins later than I wanted, I realized it's not yet my time. Even though I have put in hours of training this year, two things stuck out: 1)I've only been at this for a freakin' year! I come from a ice hockey and lacrosse background-of course the endurance isn't going to be there yet. And 2) I wasn't doing EVERYTHING it takes to be good. I wasn't getting the rest I needed and I wasn't getting in the long days that are going to build my aerobic engine.

In discovering these things, I've put every ounce of myself into the sport since my disappointing result at Timberman. The six hour rides are in there, the long runs, the long swims, everything that's gonna continue to make me better. I have work to do and I'm excited about it.

So concerning my race this weekend, I see it only as another opportunity to gage where I am. Will I finish better than I did at Timberman? Probably. Will I learn something new about myself as a triathlete? Most definately. Might I be disappointed further? Sure, but I will do so knowing that I'm going to continue to reach higher and higher to achieve my goals. I WILL NOT and CANNOT give up or give in. I'm dedicated to this and I won't serve myself the injustice of not making the absolute most of my ability. If I'm willing to let myself bow out, what does that say about my character?

I'm happy to be racing this weekend and I'll be happy to take a week or two off and drink some beers afterward. But what makes me the happiest is knowing that right after that break, it'll be back to business. First and foremost I'll be back in the pool, and then out on the bike and running in the trails. I look forward to what the future brings and I plan on doing everything I can to make my dreams a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment