Friday, October 9, 2009

No Training

I'm forcing myself to actually take completely off today. That means no training whatsoever-not commuting to work or otherwise! It's been a long season and I really need the physical break. Although I don't feel like I need it, and my head is in a very good place right now, it's a necessarry evil. Lucho has put up a really cool post today about the endocrine system and how the effects of training influence more than just your muscles. This is important not only to ultra runners, but athletes in all sports. As a personal trainer and sports coach, I've seen way to many people put their health at risk by overdoing it. It's sneaky and catches up on you when you least expect it.

Recently, in talking with a good friend preparing for IM Arizona, I insisted that she seriously consider taking a day off. In response, she said, "Today isn't my day off. My scheduled day for rest is Tuesday." In my thinking rest days should be used when you really need them. You need to be honest with yourself and with your training, allowing your body to tell you when it needs rest.

I've always been an extrodinarily self motivated person, so for me, taking a day off must really mean that I needed it. My only hope for my friend is that she does not push through her exhaustion, blowing herself up before the biggest race of her life. Time will tell, but I'll do my best not to let it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment