Monday, October 26, 2009

Rest Day

Today it's back to formal training. The time I spent away from structured training flew by. What was in reality a few weeks feels more like a few days. I'm still super motivated, but boy did I enjoy my free time. Still, triathlon is what I love and training brings me a lot of joy. It's never a chore to get on the bike, out for a run, or even in the pool. As a matter of fact, I wanted to swim today! The thought actually crossed my mind to get to the pool, screw the "rest day", and start putting in some laps. I managed to get rid of the urge and hit the trails on the mountain bike for 3 hours:). So much for the rest day!

I don't count the mountain biking as training though. It's most like a weight lifting session combined with some fast downhills, and gorgeous fall folliage. It's soothing and it keeps my head on straight. I don't track my milage, speed, or pace, and I couldn't care less. It's one of the things that I do for my head so if I decide to do it on an "off" day, so what. As long as it doesn't interfere with my training progress, I don't see it as a bad thing.

As far as Ironman goes, I'm still having trouble making a decision. IM Louisville is in September next year and there are still spots availible. I'd like to do Arizona, but I don't think it will be possible given my current financial situation. Louisville is closer to me (be it 13 hours by car), and there may be a better opportunity for me to qualify for Kona in doing it-which brings me to my next problem: Is going to Louisville and getting a Kona spot because someone didn't accept their's a good way to go? And is it good to go to a race that a lot of people will not try to qualify at because it's so close to Kona a good way to go? In otherwords, I really want to earn my spot. I don't want to get it in a roll down, and I don't want to get it because other "studs" in my age group didn't show up. If I go to Kona, I want to know it's because I'm a good freakin' triathlete. It may be hard-headed, and other's may not agree with me, but that's what I want.

So this is my problem as of now: Do I go to Louisville because it's closer to me and there's a better chance to go to Kona? or, Do I race Arizona against a tougher field, spend a bit more money, and lessen my chances of qualifying? I have faith in myself enough to stick it up to the other top AG'ers, and race in Arizona, it's just the money thing that really gets me. I think I can swing it, but it's gonna be tough.

It's funny though because I think I'm answering this for myself even as I type. I think the obvious choice is IM Arizona. I have a gut feeling that's drawing me to this race for some reason. Like I've said before, the toughest decisions are the ones that mean the most. This may take some time...

No comments:

Post a Comment