Monday, October 5, 2009

Time to Relax

In the words of the Offspring Smash album, "Ahh, it's time to relax. You know what that means: Glass of wine, your favorite easy chair, and of course, this compact disc playing in your home stereo." This is going to be the part of the year I have to toughest problem with. Over the course of this year, I've found that training means the world to me. I love it. I love getting stronger, building my fitness, and challenging myself in a new way every day. It's cliche, but you really do learn something new about yourself each day you train. It's a process and that's what I love about it.

I also love to race. Although nerve racking, racing is the true demonstration of what we've earned through our training. You put in the work and most times you'll see the fruits of your labor. I love that it's not just about the physical work you put in, but your preparation in other ways. A client of mine reminded me of that recently. You can work your ass of training day in and day out, only to destroy what you've created in the days and nights before the race. It's mental toughness, preparation, and readiness that make an athelete, and I'm glad to have learned this.

Today was the first day of chill-axing for me and I hate it. I'm very fit right now and all my body wants to do is go. It's amazing but I'm not even sore after my race yesterday. I hoped out of bed this morning ready to go for a run (which I almost did-decided on a bike ride instead). At first I wondered if I had not gone hard enough yesterday but then realized my body has made an important progression. I'm recovering faster because I'm becoming accustomed to working. It's amazing and I'm happy it's happening.

The last month of my season was so important. Having gone through a giant emotional loss, feeling depressed, and training my ass off have hardened me. I feel transformed. The adversity gave me a lesson I never would have learned otherwise. It was and still is tough to deal with, but I'm better for it.

I'm rambling a bit, but just needed to get some stuff out of my head and out on the screen. It's gonna be a while until my next real race so I'll save some rambling for later :). Right now it's time to have a nice cold beer and watch some football!

No comments:

Post a Comment