Sunday, October 4, 2009

Another Step Forward

Had a pretty decent showing today. I still can't swim fast. My bike was where it usually is. And my run finally came around.

Finished 12th overall today, which I'll take, but I think more importantly I continue to improve in important ways. Without going into too much detail and boring all of my 3 readers :) with a race report of a race they've probably never heard of, I'll just say that I wish I would have had the focus I went into this race with all year. Looking back it was a bit of a transitional year for me in many ways, but I think I was able to find my "triathlon groove" with about 4 weeks remaining in the season. My training took on a much more serious tone, and I learned what it takes to really improve at this sport.

All I can say now is that I'm ready for the next phase to begin. Today I accomplished the goal I set for this race in putting together a very solid run. Now I'm ready to take it to the next level. I plan to take a little time off, and return ready to put in some serious training, and serious recovery. I tend to get stronger the longer the race, but now I want to be even faster and even better.

Also, in more reflection on this year, I've stopped lying to myself. I used to bitch and make excuses (in all the sports I've ever played) as to why my performance was sub par. I was never willing to admit that I didn't prepare correctly, hadn't put in enough time, or just was beaten by someone better. What I've learned from triathlon (and endurance sports in general) is that if you have the talent, there are no excuses. You have to look yourself square in the face and tell yourself the truth-whatever it may be. Sometimes it hurts, but it will always make you better.

I can't wait until next year. Some big things are gonna happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment