Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Ride, Shovel, Feelin' good

Years ago, my mom had a friend (Natalie) that would take me to the movies. I must have been 8 or 9, maybe 10. I didn't realize it at the time, but it was such a kind thing to do. I can't remember much from that time in my life, but one of the things that sticks out most is those trips to the movies. We'd go to the theater, and then right to the diner where I'd have my normal slice of cheesecake. It was such a simple thing, but it made a great impact on my life. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but the kindhearted nature of just making time for me then is very special to me now that I'm a grown man. So when my mother told me that she needed her driveway shoveled and there was no one around to do it I jumped at the chance. We've been hit by a bunch of snow (well over a foot), and in the last days rain. The snow is wet, slushy, and most of all heavy. Shoveling is no fun whatsoever. However, as I shoveled the drive, my back aching the whole time and sweat dripping down my brow, I had to smile. Every shovel-full of snow was a "Thank you". And even then it's not enough. I'm forever greatful for the time she made for me, and I'll shovel that driveway a million more times if she needs it. I just hope I can spread kindness and good nature the way she did in my lifetime. Little things matter. Don't forget that.

For the ride today, I set up the trainer, dusted off the power meter, and got to work. Nothing crazy, but an hour and a half workout that made my legs sing. With yesterday's gym workout still making my legs sore to the touch, the efforts I did on the trainer hurt hurt hurt! I'm hoping to get out on the roads tomorrow, as we're expecting more snow tomorrow night.

At this point it's more the ice on the roads than the snow that's making outdoor riding tough. We've been hit by rain and warm temps that have made the roads full of black ice. While I'm all for riding in bad weather, it's not worth an "off-season" broken bone. It'll have to be a game-time decision.

Things are getting on otherwise. Working hard and trying to keep people motivated, but it's tough when I'm having motivation issues myself. Hopefully we can all inspire one another! Some sun and warm temps certainly wouldn't hurt!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment