Friday, March 9, 2012

Ray's Mountain Bike Parks

   

I can't wait to go to one of these! I have no plans as of now to make the trip (as there are none even close to where I live), but whenever the chance may arise, I'll be sure to make it happen.

One thing I thought of when I was watching this vid, was just how afraid we are to be the "new guy", or novice at something.  In the gym where I work, there are so many people, particularly men, that simply can't find it in them to be the novice, or to try something new.  I was thinking about it yesterday, and I realized just how many male clients I've had stop coming in only after a few sessions because they didn't want to be told what to do-that is, be less than an absolute expert at something.  I'm guessing this is one of two things.  Either we all, as guys, wanna be the "Alpha Male" so bad that our egos prevent us from taking the instruction of another male that may know more, and/or we have reached an age at which we are no longer accustomed to being a beginner at anything.  It amazes me how often this happens.  Furthermore, there is no greater way to stunt your growth as a human being than by being the one that neglects the teachings of others, no matter how you may perceive them at the time.

In an age where we can find instant anonymity behind out computer screens, it's really rare that you meet someone that is willing to take the chance at being a fool to learn something new.  We've all been the fool at one point or another, and more times than not I'm willing to bet that we've come out better for it.  Ha! With this type of thinking, I'm going to aspire to be a fool every day! Maybe I'll "git learn'd sumthin!"

No comments:

Post a Comment