Tuesday, February 9, 2010

30 min run, 3k swim

I've been very productive outside of training the last couple days. Work and life stuff have taken up a lot of time and effort and I think it showed in training today.

I got out at 5am for an easy jog. Being that I haven't been able to consistantly run for the last few months, I've lost quite a bit of run fitness. No matter what you do, you can't train to run by doing anything but running and it was evident in my numbers today. Where I was running quite comfortably and fast at 144bpm, I'm now slogging along at an embarrassingly slow pace. I'm sure this will pass quickly as I get into more regular running, but I'm just astonished at how much difference a few months make. Not to mention the fact that I'm very fit on the bike right now. I guess it's just interesting to find that the fitness doesn't translate quite the way I thought it would. Nonetheless, I'm still very happy to be running again, even if it is for only a slow half hour at a time right now.

In the after noon it was a 3k swim. This sucked, plain and simple. Not only did I forget to bring my goggles and suit, but I just wasn't into it. Luckily I had my spare goggles in the glove compartment and an old pair of tri shorts in the back of the truck. I just couldn't get into the workout, ditched it, did some drill work, and swam some long sets with 100 IM's mixed in.

I'm starting to notice a trend in the workouts directly following a recovery week. It's hard to describe but I feel rested but sluggish at the same time. I guess it just takes my body a day or two to get back into the mode. I mean, I felt crappy on my run this morning, but that was to be expected. The swim, which has usually been very strong lately, was weak, but strong by the end (with the 100IM's). Either way it's great that I'm learning more about training, my body, and how different things effect me. It's all a journey...

Tomorrow is going to be very interesting. I have a four hour ride and we're going to be hit with the biggest snow storm of the seaon. I plan on getting out on the 'cross bike for the majority of it, but if things are too dangerous (i.e. crazy drivers on the roads-not the ice or snow), I may just hop on the trainer. Either way though, I'll be able to do it at my leisure as I'm not working tomorrow. I'm hoping for the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment