Tuesday, February 2, 2010

90 min singlespeed mtb

Did 90 minutes on the Meatsaw. I had only really intended to do about an hour (being that it's a rest week and all), but I got lost on the trail and wound up adding a few more miles. I really love mountainbiking. There's something about it that just makes me happy. It's comparable to the way I feel about running. It could be the adrenaline rush you get from bombing the downhills, or even the endorphin rush from pushing the singlespeed hard, but I just feel so good after a ride. It's hard, but it's rewarding. I can definately see myself getting into some Xterra races-maybe even as soon as this summer. I was looking at some of the races and there's one in Virginia that looks good. It's a few hours away, but I could probably crash with my best friend and his wife. I'm sure that decision will be up to her though.

The culture of mountainbiking is also a draw to me. I love being on the road, and I love the speed and distance you can cover on a road bike, but for the most part, the mountain bikers I've met have been some of the nicest and most welcoming guys around. Not to mention they usually drink quite a bit more beer than their "roadie" counterparts, so automatically they are good people in my book.

Fortunately I have some of the best, if not the best, singletrack trails on Long Island about 4 miles from my front door. It's probably nothing compared to other parts of the country, but there are quite a few challenges, and a lot of tight corners and steep climbs/descents that I'm sure rival other places.

Ok, I'm done with my mountainbike rant. Just wanted to get that out. The foot is feeling fantastic and I'm very tempted to run. I still think it's a bit too soon though, and there's really no reason to-yet. My fitness is building in the water and on the bike, so I'm sure the transition won't be too tough. Nothing trains your body to run like running, but if I'm careful in my comeback and start slowly back, I'm postive I can still run just as well, if not better, than I did at the end of last season. There are a lot of good things happening for me, and I intend to take advantage of it. This small bit of adversity has taught me a whole other side of what it takes to succeed at this sport. Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment