Monday, February 1, 2010

Rest Day

Today is a scheduled rest day. I feel great. No pain in the foot, and for that matter, no real pain anywhere. Feeling good mentally as well. I'm in a really good place with my cycling and swimming. The fact that I still haven't run has been more out of choice than anything. In reality, I probably could have started up this past week with light jogging, but I choose to let it rest a bit more. As well, this is a scheduled rest week, so I'm going to allow it to rest further. The fact is that it's only January (or "Crapuary" as my coach puts it). There's so much time until any real racing for me starts, so it's needless to be stubborn and push myself to hard. Now is the time to take advantage of what I can do, not always what I want to do.

The past couple weeks were great for my cycling and I'm happy with that. I really love to ride and there's nothing better than still being able to really crank at the end of a 5 hour ride. When I'm fit on the bike I feel like I can do anything. It's probably the reason why I'm feeling so good mentally right now.

So this week will be devoted to gettting back into a good sleep pattern (at least 8 hours a night), and getting my diet back on track. I've found that eating A LOT does wonders for me. I don't eat terribly, but I don't eat super-clean either. I look for calorie dense foods, and eat when I'm hungry. I haven't had a tendancy to hold extra fat, and I'm not terribly heavy either (180lbs @ 6'1"). My race weight, ideally, is 170lbs, so at this stage I'm just about where I want to be. I have a tendancy to loose weight as it gets warm, so I don't see this as a problem moving forward.

While I don't need a rest week physically, this comes at the perfect time as my super high motivation could derail me. This will be a great week to take care of my health and wellbeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment