Sunday, April 11, 2010

Just what the doctor ordered...

Almost certainly avoided catastrophe today with the help of some good friends. Grant and Anna came all the way out from the big city to ride with me today. Before this impromtu visit, I had been sitting inside thinking of reasons not to ride my bike. I was tired, toasted, and generally cranky from the past two weeks training. I had had to ditch my brick run yesterday and I was still pissed about it. Generally, it was just not a day shaping up for good training.

However, all was better the moment they said they were driving out to help "rehabilitate" my training. We got out, did an "easy" 75 or 80 mile ride, had a ton of fun, and I think I got my mojo back. I think it was just what I needed. A little "unfocused" training to get back into the swing of things.

Since returning from Spain almost 2 months ago, I've had laser focus in my training. Every session has had a purpose and every session was done to the very best of my abilities. Nearly every waking moment has been devoted to my development as a triathlete. While this determination is certainly a positive thing, I believe that balance must also be achieved. Days like today provide me with enough of just getting out there for fun to get me back to where I need to be. Focus and progression are the name of the game, but you can get so wrapped up in your own self progression that you can forget the reason you like to do what you like to do in the first place. You must have fun doing what you're doing. Without fun, things turn to work, and even though some love work, work can get tedious and your fun can turn into labor. Once that happens, at least for me, it's the beginning of the end. Call me a big kid, but all I want to do is have fun-particularly with the passion I love!

So, with all that said, I went of my training schedule a bit (sorry coach), but it got my head back. And not only did it get my head back, but it took the stress off my body for a couple days. The brain knows what the body needs, but sometimes the heart and the want to be better get in the way of rational thinking. This weekend, with the help of my friends, I was able to get my body back to where the brain knows it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment