Thursday, April 15, 2010

Run, Swim, Run-and some new shoes!


Solid day of work today. Double run day with a swim smack in the middle. The swim really isn't much more than a technique session, but I'll count it as a workout because I still have to drive to the pool, get in the water, and shower after-sounds like training to me!:)


The first run kinda sucked as I forgot to bring my Garmin with me (shows how dependant on technology I am!). As it was to be an enddurance based run, I just went by feel. I must have gotten it right because after mapping the run I held to just about the pace I was suppossed to! Good on me!


Directly after the run I hopped in the pool for a coached technique session. My freestyle has really come a long way and now only needs minor tuning from week to week. So excited for my "new stroke" to make it's debut this summer at the races!


Finally, to end the day, it was another evening endurance run. Decided to take it to the trails for two reasons. One, my body is beat to hell from running on all the roads and concrete sidewalks. And two, I wanted to get some night time trail running in. It's been a while since I've been on the trails after dark, and my petzl headlamp was collecting some dust so I decided to bring it back to life. Had a great time other than the fact that I stepped in a big pile of dog crap somewhere along the way. Nothing pisses me off more than when people don't clean up after their dogs. It's not like I was just trouncing through the woods and happened to step in doggie doo! These are trails used by hikers and runners everyday! Plus, I wouldn't have been so mad if I had been wearing an old pair of shoes and not the ones I just got today! GRRRRR!


Anyway, about the shoes... So after not buying any new shoes for quite a while-a feat in itself for me!-I decided to pull the trigger on a new pair of K-Swiss Ultra Natural Run II's. I found them on amazon.com for a bargin and they just came today. I had the chance to try some of the very first K-Swiss running shoes and fell in love with them. However, because of a deal I had with a local running store, I wasn't able to wear them (they only carry Nike, Asics, New Balance, etc.). However, since it's a new year, I'm sportin' the K-Swiss's! They've really done some awesome stuff with their new line of running shoes and I'm excited to see what they'll have in store for the future. Not to mention, they're focus is on triathletes and that is a very cool thing for a shoe company to do. I don't think most traditionally "major" running shoe companies give a crap about triathlon, so it's great when a company embraces the sport in any way. Gotta say though, the dog crap I stepped in did go through the drainage holes in the bottom of the shoes:). Haha, I guess you can't have everything! Anyway, if you have the chance, I'd seriously consider giving their shoes a try.

1 comment:

  1. Grant-
    For some reason your comment didn't publish, but I would love to copy Matty Reed. If I could be half as fast as him I'd be a badass!
    -Pike

    ReplyDelete