Tuesday, January 19, 2010

1 hour swim and things are looking up!

Had a decent 1 hour swim today. Six months ago, this would have been one of my best swims, but now that I'm officially "somewhat of a swimmer", it was only decent. I didn't sleep much last night because I was thinking of an opportunity that has come up for me in regards to triathlon. There is a good chance it will happen, but it's still a bit shaky. I want it desperately, and I think it was on my mind from the time I heard about it early in the evening last night, to 4am today when I got out of bed. All told, I probably managed about 3 hours of sleep-if that.

So the swim is down for today and I'm feeling good. I've come to love swimming almost in the same way I love running. A while ago, when I'd get down after having a bad run, I'd tell myself "at least I'm out there." A day of any running is better than a day without it. So in regards to swimming, a day in the water is better than any without. I've come to find a level of calmness in the water that is similar to how I feel when I'm out runnning on the road or on the trail. Keep in mind I said similar, not exactly. Nothing can replace running, but while I'm out, swimming is a suitable substitute. Now only if I could get out in the open water...

I'll have more about the opportunity I've been given when it's a certainty. I don't want to let the cat out of the bag just yet, but it's really going to give me a great chance to pursue my dreams even more.

Training is done for today. Tomorrow is a sweet singlespeed ride, either on the roads or on the trails with The Meatsaw. It'll depend on the mood as to which I choose.

By the way, I think, rather KNOW, the depression I've been feeling latley is directly related to the season, and the cold, miserable weather we've been experiencing so far this winter. The temps for the last few days have been in the mid 40's and my attitude and general outlook on life is just better overall. Maybe I need to move to a different climate... Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment