Saturday, January 9, 2010

3 hours 30 minutes, rowing, lifting, and core

No SBR today. Decided instead to give my foot the attention it needs/deserves, and pull the plug on all activities that cause stress directly on the foot. I haven't run in the last few weeks, with the exception of a test run last Tuesday, and I've been kidding myself thinking that cycling didn't hurt it. The truth of the matter is, I work a job that demands that I be on my feet for the majority of the day. All that walking around, coupled with cycling for 3-5 hours at a time, doesn't leave me much down time for the foot to rest. Really, the only time I've actually been resting, is when I'm sleeping.

So for the rest of this weekend, as well as next week, I'm going to lay off it in a big way. The only triathlon-related training that I'll be doing is swimming. Otherwise, I'll use the row machine, weights, and core work to fill in the rest of my schedule. I rowed today and it made a huge difference. I was able to get in some solid aerobic base work, virtually without any stress on my foot.

Today's workout looked something like this:

60 mins rowing
60 mins lifting, including Bench Press, Shoulder Press, Leg Curls, Leg Extensions, Dumbell Curls, Dips, Swim-specific cord work, Pull Ups, Incline Bench. All exercises were 3 sets of 15 reps at a weight that wasn't nuts, but decent.
30 mins of core work, including Back Extensions on a ball, Crunches on a ball and the floor, Planks, Twisting Crunches, and Bird-Dog plank things.
30 mins rowing.

The most difficult thing to do during this lifting session was to pace myself. I had to remember that I'm an endurance athlete now and not a bodybuilder anymore. Looking around in the gym, I used to be one of the biggest guys in there and now I'm one of the skinniest. I don't really care either way, but it was important to remember that I didn't have to go super heavy anymore, and to do the right thing with the weights.

Tomorrow will likely be more of the same. I may throw in some more complex exercises, but without the use of my foot it'll be difficult. I'd love to work in some ax chops and calf raises, but right now I don't think it's a good idea. Also, I'm starting to think that this shift in training focus, for the moment, is just what I need. My motivation was at an all time high after this past season, and without this injury, I believe I may have burned out. Doing a little cross training, if anything, will help me. It's time to get back to those weights that I've neglected for the last 3 or 4 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment