Sunday, March 14, 2010

65 min run

Got up this morning with zero motivation to do anything. I was tired, groggy, and in the mood to just stay in bed. So I did. I didn't worry too much about the swim I wanted to do, I just let my body dicatate my day. I managed to stay in my PJ's until noon, drink a great cup of coffee, watch a couple movies, and play with the dog. Just a nice, relaxing Sunday morning-something I really think my body appreciated.

Around 1pm I started to feel ambitious, so I got out to do the run I had planned. Keep in mind I had wanted to swim, bike, AND run today, but it just wasn't to be. So I got out on the run and felt ok. Nothing special, just put in the work. It's amazing how much your body changes when it's not used to doing something. Before I injured my foot/calf/whatever the hell it was, I had been running better than ever. At that point it never felt like work. Running was easy and enjoyable. I felt coordinated, fast, and smooth. Three months later I feel 'blocky' and uncoordinated. I'm not slow, but it's hard work. I've been staying pretty disciplined and allowing my HR to dictate my pace. It's going to come back, it's just going to take a little time and patience.

I've also been very careful in coming back to running. I'm only running every other day, and my longest run since the injury was today. I've only gone up by time and not milage. The way I see it, running by time is a better idea for me than milage, as it doesn't take into account pace. If I were to run by distance, it might take me longer than desired to reach, and therefore allow for another injury. I don't know if it all makes sense, but I'm comfortable doing it this way and I think that's half the battle.

Tomorrow is going to be a day off. I may swim a little in the morning, but I really believe my mind and body need a little rest. Culminating with the Spain trip, I've put in a lot of good work this winter and have laid a solid foundation to build on for this season. Finding that I wasn't motivated this morning is telling me that it may be time to take a step back and let everything cool down as not to get burned out before the season begins. I'm still more than 5 weeks out from my first race of the season, so I think it's a good time.

Oh and one more thing. It's not that I don't like Lance Armstrong, it's just that WOW! Alberto Contador is good! What a cyclist! That guy is going to be a terriffic champion for years to come and Paris-Nice was just the beginning of what's going to be a sensational year. Armstrong will always be my favorite rider, but boy is Contador a close second. Just sayin'...

No comments:

Post a Comment