Sunday, September 27, 2009

16 mile run

Ok, it was suppossed to be 16, but I did 15 instead. I was to warm up with 2 miles, run 6 hard, 6 harder, and cool down for 2. I get antsy when I get out there, so after only a mile warm up I was ready to go.

When I did this same run Monday, I decided to do it on a flat loop, wanting to keep my rythm together the whole time. Today, though, I threw that loop out the window and did it on some of the really hilly roads in my town. Port Jefferson is probably the hilliest area on Long island, so it's great to get in some solid strong running training. I think this is why I'm a stronger runner rather than a faster runner.

So the run was good. Monday this run killed me, but today it wasn't that bad. I felt better as the run went on, and really started to kick by the end. My final six miles was much faster than the first six, and I was really able to put it all on the line by the end.

On another note, I'm excited that my diet must be right. During this run, I didn't need any extra fuel, and never came close to bonking. I know it's not a terribly long run, but I think the added fat in my diet has had a positive effect on my training and endurance. Just a thought.

So it's on to the last taper of the year. In my first "real" year of triathlon, I'm happy with the gains I've made. I've taken a lot of steps forward and I think I have a lot more to go. All in all I can only say that I've dedicated myself wholy to this sport for about 3 months. Life and other things stood in my way before. Now though, after some refinement and serious soul searching, I think I'm ready to take the next step forward in my journey. Probably the best thing that I've learned, and the best thing I like about this sport, is that you really have to look yourself in the mirror at the end of the day. There is no lying to yourself. You can make excuses until your blue in the face about why you didn't do this, or you didn't do that, but in the end, if you're healthy and motivated with a little bit of talent, you will be able to see the fruits of your labor.

I truly love every last thing about this sport, from the sexy bike (and girls!) to the wacky people (myself included) that I've met so far. I'm so lucky to have stumbled upon this crazy sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment