Thursday, September 3, 2009

3 hour run

Ok, well it was 2 hours and 50 mins, but including cool down, it was 3 hours. Great base effort today. It's ridiculous how good I'm feeling. I'm actually finishing workouts fresher than I am when I started them. There really wasn't a time today when I felt week, except some of those last hills. I'm sure there was a ton of climbing in this run today, but being that I'm not a Garmin Geek (ok I can't afford a good one!), I don't know the exact number.

The run took me all around and on all surfaces. There were some trails in there, some sand along the Long Island Sound, and of course plenty of pavement. There's a lot good going on right now including my state of mind. During the run I kept thinking about a line from "Fight Club". As Tyler Durden says, "This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time." I kept thinking to myself, What am I doing out here? What am I trying to achieve? Are other people working as hard as I am right now? I won't share the answers to these questions, but I can tell you I was satisfied with my answers. Whatever it is I'm trying to do-either kill myself or achieve greatness-I'm going all out. There's really no reason not to. This is my life, and it's ending one minute at a time. What I do now, from this minute to the next, will have a profound effect on the rest of my life.

One last quote that I love from "Fight Club", also from Tyler, is when he says, "You have to realize that one day you will die-until you do, you are useless." Something about that makes the hair on the back of my neck stick straight up. There's gonna be a day, sooner or later, that I'm not going to be here. No one will remember me and no one will care. Just as those that came before me and you out there reading this, we will be nothing but dirt, six feet under, recycled into the earth (Or creamated or whatever you want to have happen to you after you die!). I don't say this to be morbid, but simply to state a fact of life. Everything that's here today can cease to be tomorrow. In realizing that, I have to ask myself, "What am I going to do with today? With this minute? With the next?" I do not want to have regrets in this life. I want to do everything to the fullest and have a kick ass time doing it!

I didn't mean to get deep, but I obviously had a lot of time to contemplate life and my goals while running today!

Tomorrow is a sweet 4k swim. It'll be nice to be off my feet for a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment