Sunday, September 6, 2009

And then it was done.


So I finished the training week still standing. In fact, I feel better than ever. I'm shocked at how much my body was able to do this week, and I'm happy that I'm still hungry for more. Honestly, I wouldn't be oppossed to heading out for another swim, bike, or run right now. To me this says 2 things: 1)Most importantly, I didn't overcook myself with intensity. In the short history of my time in this sport, I have a habit of trying to hammer every workout. Long course racing, as I've learned, isn't about that. If you want to be successful, you have to know when to push it and when to lay back. I've been reading a lot (as well as told by coach) that when pros have an easy day, it's ACTUALLY easy. Now, that's not to say that they dick around in their workouts, but rather I believe it means that they gauge their intensity appropriately. When it's time to go hard, you go hard. When it's time to go easy, you go easy. 2)I'm not made of glass. This week was an important confidence booster. I CAN handle a 30 hour week, and I'll do it again. With the proper rest and attention to recovery, I'm able to do a lot more than I thought I was capable of doing. This feels great!


So that's about it for now. Tomorrow is a rest day and I intend to use it as such. I was going to add another swim in there tomorrow morning, but the boss (http://www.johnhirsch.org/) says "no" so it's just rest. Besides, it's a good chance to spend some time with the family-haven't done that in about 5 years...

No comments:

Post a Comment