Thursday, December 17, 2009

Swim-1 hour with swim coach

Had one of the best swims I've ever done today with Kerri my swim coach. This has been by far one of the best investments I've ever made. Even if I didn't learn anything from her (which is by no means the case!), it would still be worth having a set of expert eyes on me to tell me what I was doing wrong and how to fix it. She's truly invaluable to my swimming efforts right now.

We worked, as usual, a lot on my freestyle stroke, but added in some butterfly as well. Now I've never even attempted the fly before, much less known how to do it right. As she explained it to me, the most important thing, she said, was that it would give me a better "feel" for the water. That it definately did. After some successful "butterflying", I switched back to freestyle and it was like I'd been shot out of a cannon. The "feel" of the water was amazing, as well as my body position. I felt faster, smoother, and most of all, was having more fun than ever. I honestly thing the fun factor is one of the biggest roadblocks most people face. Most people, myself included, train what they have the most fun doing. I'd always loved running and riding my bike, but swimming was definatley in the "no-fun" zone. Today changed that, and I'm looking forward, now more than ever, to getting back in the water and having fun!

Tonight will be some more self massage on the foot and my calf as well as wearing my Strassburg sock again to sleep in. Hopefully tomorrow morning will bring more of the same pain-free feeling I woke up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment