Thursday, December 10, 2009

Swim Lesson, Bike

Went to my swim coach Kerri today and she absolutely killed me. I think I had my first taste of what a "real" swim workout is like. I always thought track workouts were tough, but damn can those swimmers get in some work! According to her I've improved even since last week. My sroke is better and my times show it. We worked a lot on my movement in the water and it's really obvious that I'm feeling much more balanced. We're actually going to work on some other strokes next week for me to get a better "feel" of the water. It's great now though because every time I go in the water I feel like I'm making improvement. Solid improvement. No longer to I feel like I'm wasting my time swimming lap after endless lap having no idea what I'm actually doing. Hiring her was some of the best money I've spent in triathlon by far.

Right afer the swim I went out for an easy bike. I intended on getting in 2 hours of base riding, but because we took a little extra time at the end of the swim session to work on some things, I was only able to get in about an hour and 15 mins. The extra time in the pool was definately worth any time I missed on the bike. Besides, I'll make up for it tomorrow and this weekend. Right now the priority is the swim and getting my foot back to where it needs to be.

As for the foot, things are going along smoothly. I didn't have any pain in it today, and wore shoes that allowed it not to be under pressure in anyway. I have funny shaped feet and not all shoes fit me comfortably. I've found that Nike Elites and the K-Swiss K-ona shoes work the best. The Lunar Glides are exacly the same as the Elites (IMO) so they fit equally well. Again, I'm resting this thing until it heals, so it might be a week or so before I run again. At first I was very concerned with losing my run fitness, but since running comes very naturally to me, I'm not too worried about it anymore. Besides, this gives me more time to focus on my bike and swim. It's depressing being injured, but you can't forget to focus on the positives. "Harness the good, block the bad. Harness, block. It goes around in a circle." (Happy Gilmore)

No comments:

Post a Comment