Saturday, December 26, 2009

Swim 1 hour

I'd be lying if I said this was an intense workout. It was actually rather relaxing, as I got to swim with a good friend for a bit and chat inbetween sets. I'm not sure exactly what the yardage was here and I'm still not concerned. My technique is awesome right now and I'm concentrating on keeping it that way. I've been doing the wrong things for close to a year now, and mostly I want to fix in my head now the right way to do things. I'm faster than I've ever been and I'm really looking forward to being a beast in the water this season.

The injury to my foot is almost completely healed. It's difficult to fight the urge NOT to run or cycle right now, but I know it's a must. I'm so close to being able to have it at 100%, and I dont' want to do anything to mess that up. I haven't even done any of my little "test" jogs to the car the last couple of days and I really think that's helped more than almost anything. Also, staying off it as much as possible the last couple days surely has helped as well.

My diet has been nearly spot on with the exception of tonight. As I've mentioned before, I'm trying to go as "anti-inflamatory" as possible, limiting gluten, wheat, and other inflamatory foods as well. I think this is not only important to overall health and recovery from training, but I think it's speeding the recovery of my injury as well. All this might just be a mental thing, but if it works I have no problem with that. It's putting me in a better frame of mind, and as I've learned through this injury, having a positive mindset is more than half the battle.

The single sport focus this last week of swimming has been actually a nice reprieve. I was super motivated when I got injured, and this break from riding and runing has only made me hungrier. I want this so bad right now I can taste it. I've realized that resting is actually the most productive thing I can be doing right now. Grinding myself into the ground right now isn't going to do me any good. It's better to miss 2-3 weeks of riding and running than missing/and or having a terrible season because of something small that turned big because I didn't have the discipline to hold myself back. This experience has truly changed me as an athlete. The best lessons are surely the hardest to learn, and when you finally learn, you never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment