Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Swim, Visit to the Doctor, 2 Hour Bike

Swam this morning. Felt really good and was glad I could do something that didn't stress my foot. I'm really excited about my first meeting with the new swim coach tomorrow. We blocked off two hours for our first meeting, so it should be quite an awakening.

After the swim, I went back to work and then to the doctor to see about my foot. My biggest fear was that it was skeletal-i.e. a stress fracture. Soft tissue stuff doesn't phase me unless it's a tear, as I'm pretty confident it'll heal with rest. But, just to be on the safe side I took the trip.

I could see that he wasn't much of a runner, or much of an exerciser either from his portly physique. In all fairness though, he was a very nice guy. After examining my foot, he said there was no fracture of any kind and to just not run for a month to heal the tendons that were irritated. He said I could swim and bike, as long as there was no pain. I grilled him on everything and he gave some satisfactory answers. Now, do I think it'll take a month for it to heal? Absolutely not. However, I do plan on giving it ample time to rest. I certianly don't plan on running for the rest of this week, and perhaps even next week as well. I want it to be SERIOUSLY pain free for at least 48 consecutive hours before I try to do anything on it. And even then, I only plan on doing shorter runs to strengthen it back up.

After the doctor, I went out on the bike for a 2 hour MAF ride. The foot and calf both felt great. I'm still very strong on the bike and had a great ride overall. All in all I don't think this injury will be a bad thing at all. I had a minor freak out this morning when I came to the realization that I might not be able to run for a week or two, but now that I've had the time to actually think about it a little, it's going to allow me to continue to focus on my swim as well as get in some good rides before the weather turns too bad to ride. I'm looking forward to running again, but in the meantime I'll make the most of what I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment