Saturday, December 5, 2009

Swim and Pics from the Car Fire











These are the "during" and "after" shots from the fire yesterday. Pretty gnarly stuff. It's funny but I didn't realize how much the whole ordeal took out of me until hours later. I was able to get out on the bike for a little bit shortly afterwards, but once I got home and settled I fell almost immediately asleep. Interesting how stress works like that.
Today was just a very easy 40 minute swim. About 90% of the time was spent doing drills and the other 10% was used up in practicing what I went over with my new swim coach this past Thursday. I'm very excited about the progress I've made as well as the progress I will make for the rest of the winter with my swim. It's not going to take me millions of laps, but rather discipline to get to where I need to be.
Tomorrow is a nice long ride and then a rest day Monday. The foot is really coming along and I think it'll be ready to run on by next week. This week has been super tough with not running. I've always had the choice of whether or not I want to train-it was never made for me, injury or not. This has been a real wakeup call. If not running for one week causes me this much stress and depression, I couldn't imagine what it would be like to have to go longer. I promise myself to never take another day of training for granted. It truly is a gift to be cherished and taken well care of.




4 comments:

  1. Crazy! Endochrine system fatigue is what you felt. The 'fight or flight' mechanism elevated your hormone levels. You crashed afterward...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's crazy how the human body works! I felt like I could have crushed 100 miles on that ride afterwards. Do you think the raise in hormone levels is gonna have a negative effect on my MAF training? :) What a crazy, albeit, unwanted, rush!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will affect you less because you are doing MAF training. High intensity has a similar effect as what you felt after the fire. Which is partly why high intensity efforts need to be used sparingly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool. Since reading into MAF a bit more, I've been nearly terrified to raise my HR any higher than prescibed. Maybe it's a little crazy but I want to get the most out of it.
    Thanks! And the Newtons definately should have burned along with the car-I half considered running inside to get them and throw 'em on the fire. With my luck though, they wouldn't have burned...evil shoes!!! :)

    ReplyDelete