Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Swim Lesson 1 hour

Had another great swim lesson with my coach Kerri. At the very least if this nagging in jury is going to sideline me from biking and running, I can become a pretty descent swimmer.

My freestyle is really coming along and I'm getting faster and faster. Learning the butterfly has really helped that out I think . I've said it before, but hiring Kerri as my coach has really been such a great investmet.

Also, I've started to change my diet back to more of what it used to be. During the middle of this past season I started getting sloppy. Because I'd never trained so much before in my life, I just devoured any calories put in front of me. This kept me fueled, but I think in the long run it's hurt me. I haven't had a problem with holding too much extra fat, but I believe my recovery could really be enhanced by making some slight changes.

First and foremost I need to eat more wholesome foods. My general diet consisted of energy drinks, coffee, cookies, protein, and carbs. No veggies and no fruits. I'm talkin NONE AT ALL! Bad news. Also, although my protein sources were good, my carb choices weren't. Mostly all breads, pastas, and sugars. Bagels, muffins, cookies, etc. While these may be fine for a long training day, they're horrible for the offseason. And the cookies... Well let's just say that I have no limits regarding chocolate chip cookies. I'll leave it at that.

So I've been doing some research on diets (more review than anything) and I'm going to try and make some important changes. First and foremost, veggies and fruits will be at a premium. I want most of my diet to consist of a great deal of these. Next, I'll continue to keep my same protein sources of fish and chicken, with the occasional beef mixed in there at times. And finally, it's "donesville" for the cookies. While I love them probably more than any other food, they're not doing anything good for me. All the simple carbs I was eating have their purpose when I'm training heavily, but for now, they're not important.

Lastly, I've decided to greatly reduce my gluten intake. I really feel that a major reason I've had trouble with this lingering foot issue has to do with the amount of inflamitory foods (i.e. simple sugars, breads, pastas) I take in. Combined with the big fat "zero" of anti-inflamitory foods I take in (i.e. fruits and veggies), I was really creating a constant environment of inflamation in my body. Therefore, when I hurt whatever soft tissue I hurt in my foot, I've only compounded the issue further by eating so poorly. While I don't think this will be the Magic Bullet that will solve all my issues, in my mind it can't hurt.

I'll keep updating my progress on this. So this week is no biking and no running. It's gonna suck, but I've got to get through with this injury and now is a better time than ever to take care of business.

No comments:

Post a Comment